Celebrating a Lifetime of Service on National Senior Citizens Day

By Michelle Matter, Director of Aging

On National Senior Citizens Day, I want to honor a “super-ager”, someone who has been a source of strength throughout my life—my grandmother, Peggy Olson. While everyone loves their grandmother, mine is special to so many people. Her impact reaches far beyond our family, touching the lives of those she meets, especially through her volunteer work.

One unique aspect about my grandma is that she has been a Girl Scout leader for more than 55 years. She has guided generations of young girls, teaching them the importance of community, leadership, and kindness. It has been over 35 years since I was in her troop, but I vividly remember our visits to nursing homes to host monthly birthday parties for the residents.

These experiences were my first glimpse into the world of aging. I saw firsthand the joy our visits brought to the residents, but I also noticed the deep need for socialization and connection. This sparked a passion for working in the field of aging—to improve the quality of life for older adults. My grandmother’s leadership in organizing these projects showed me the profound impact that small acts of kindness can have on the lives of others.

Next month, my grandma will turn 89 years old and still works with the same energy and passion she had decades ago. For 57 years, she has been selling Avon, and for her, it’s more than just a job—it’s a lifeline to the community. Each delivery is an opportunity to stay connected, catch up with old friends, and forge new relationships. Her entrepreneurial spirit isn’t just about business; it’s about people. She takes the time to listen, share stories, and build meaningful connections with everyone she meets.

In recent years, instead of needing a caregiver, she became one. She approached caregiving with the same dedication she has shown in all aspects of her life. Watching her navigate the challenges of caregiving helped me build a successful caregiver training program at SDSU CEAL. By understanding what she needed as a caregiver—support, resources, and education—I was able to design a program that helps others in similar situations.

My grandma has never been one to sit idle, and her work exemplifies how she continues to contribute to her community. Through her actions, she reminds us of the importance of maintaining social bonds and staying involved.

Do you know a “super-ager” like my grandmother? Please send your story to ceal@sdsu.edu, and it may be featured in a future blog post celebrating the incredible lives of those who continue to make a difference.